Hi, I'm Margie. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (cisgender white female, queer -pronouns she, her, hers) specializing in gender affirming individual and family therapy and maintains a private practice in Juneau, Alaska.
With over 17 years experience as a therapist, I specialize in working with individuals or families who may be exploring their gender identity, gender diversity and gender expansive sense of self. I affirm your gender and commit myself to no gatekeeping or extra steps for you to do to be able to be yourself or express yourself authentically. I also work with other aspects of life, such as: experiencing depression, anxiety, grief and loss, trauma, PTSD, LGBTQ+ issues, ADHD, Autism spectrum, and those with traumatic brain injuries. I feel that it is a privilege to be a part of your journey with you.
I am a solution-focused therapist, who is strength-based, believing that you know yourself best with the strength and answers within you. My therapeutic approach is to provide support and a safe place to heal and grow while dealing with past or current trauma and personal life challenges. I use a variety of modalities and techniques. I hope that together we can help build on your strengths and attain the personal growth and peace you are committed to accomplishing.
In 2023, I founded Affirming Consultants and Coaches, LLC, inspired by the exploration and affirming of the various identities we hold. In May 2024, we will host the first-ever Affirming our Identities Conference in Juneau, Alaska. Learn more here.
Gender Affirming Letter Access Project - As part of my work as a psychotherapist, I work with folks who are unable to access healthcare because of systemic issues rooted in gatekeeping. One way that I work to leverage my own position is to offer pro-bono Hormone Therapy and Gender Affirmation Surgery letters to Indiana residents as a GALAP Pledge signer. If you can, learn more about GALAP and become a provider-let's break down these barriers!
- Monthly Group Supervision from the Transgender Training Institute , Sean Lane, LCSW (2022)
- Monthly supervision with Dara Hoffman Fox, LPC, is a queer-identified gender therapist, writer, educator, and transgender rights advocate. (2021-2022)
- Monthly mentoring with Aidan Key, educator, author and organizer whose gender-related work spans over two decades (2019-2022)
- Monthly supervision with Katie Cranor, MA, LPC-SEP, Somatic therapy and trauma resolution therapist (2018-2022)
Education: Penn State University, BS and University of Alaska Anchorage, MSW
License, Certifications & Awards:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Alaska #1316 (Expires 6/2024)
- SEAGLA Mildred Boesser Civil Rights Award for work with Transgender individuals and Families 2019
- Hewitt Award for Dedicated Years of Service to People with Disabilities Per Excellence, 2009
Professional Activities and Memberships: WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health), NASW, American Counseling Association, SAIGE-Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex and Gender Expansive Identities